Certified Lay Speaker
Below are the qualification needed to be a Certified Lay Speaker.
- Be a Certified Lay Servant (by taking the Basic and 1 advanced course in last 3 years).
- Obtain recommendation from Pastor and church council or charge conference of the church in which you are a member. Form supplied at Charge Conference time.
- Complete track of study which includes 6 courses listed below in the each of the following categories: Leading Worship, Leading Prayer, Discovering Spiritual Gifts, Preaching, United Methodist Heritage and Polity.
- Following the course of study, a couple members of the Lay Servant Committee will come to a Worship Service that you will be conducting. After that service, you will meet with the Director and some of the members and discuss your experience and some feedback from the committee.
- After all requirements have been completed, the paper work will be submitted to the Conference for recommendation and certification.
Following are available courses required for Lay Speaker Certification:
Spiritual Gifts– one of the following
- Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts
- Rediscovering Our Spiritual Gifts
Heritage– one of the following
- Living Our United Methodist Beliefs
- Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition
- Growing Spiritually Through Daily Discipline (online class @ BeaDisciple.com)
- Accountable Discipleship
- Transforming Evangelism
- Life Together in the United Methodist Connection
Worship– one of the following
- Leading Worship
- Planning Worship
- Your Ministry of Leading Worship 101 (online class @ BeaDisciple.com)
Prayer– one of the following
- Leading Prayer
- Leading Public Prayer
Preaching– one of the following
- Called To Preach
- You Can Preach
- From Your Heart to Theirs (online class @ BeaDisciple.com)